In this article
How to enable Select-to-speak
Enabling Select-to-speak from the Accessibility shortcut
- To access the Accessibility features on your device, select the time in the bottom right corner to open the System menu.
- In the System menu, select the Settings button .
- In the Settings window, select Accessibility from the left-hand menu. Note: If Accessibility is not visible, select Advanced to reveal more menu items.
- Select Manage accessibility settings.
- On the Accessibility settings screen, go to the Text-to-Speech section.
- Select Enable select-to-speak to set the toggle switch to On.
- Follow steps 1 – 7 of How to enable Select-to-speak, above, to open the Text-to speech settings screen.
- Select Open select-to-speak settings.
- The settings screen will open in a new web browser tab.
The Select-to-speak voice
To change the Select to Speak voice, select the drop-down menu labelled Select a voice and choose from the list.
Personalise the Text-to-Speech voice
- To personalise how text sounds when read aloud, i.e. the pitch, speaking rate, and volume, select the Text-to-Speech settings button. This will open the Settings window again.
- On the Text-to-Speech settings screen, adjust the sliders for Rate, Pitch, and Volume in the Speech Properties section.
- To hear a sample of speech using your new settings, select the Play button. Note: You can type your own sample phrase in the Text to preview box.
- When you are finished, return to the Select to Speak settings web page we opened previously.
- If you’d like items to be highlighted as they are read aloud, select Highlight each word as it is spoken to set the toggle switch to On.
- To change the colour used for highlighting, select the drop-down menu for Colour for word highlights and choose from the options. You will see examples of how highlighting will look on light and dark backgrounds, on the right.
- To make it easier to follow the text that your device is reading aloud, you can shade the background content. Select Shade background content to set the toggles with to On.
- You will see an example of how shaded content looks compared to text that is being read aloud.
- To use Select-to-speak, either
- Select the items you would like to have read aloud, then press the Search key + S on the keyboard.
- Press and hold the Search key then either tap on an item or drag the pointer over several items.
- Select the Select-to-speak button in the status bar then either tap on an item or drag the pointer over several items.
- To stop Select-to-speak before it has finished reading items aloud, press the Ctrl key or select the Select-to-speak button in the status bar.
You can quickly enable Select-to-speak from the Accessibility shortcut in the System menu. For more information on enabling and using the Accessibility Shortcut, see our article How to enable the shortcut to accessibility features in Chrome OS
Note: If this does not work it could be because someone else manages your computer settings (an IT department or administrator). If this is the case, you will need to contact them to access these settings or for further help.