With gesture navigation:
If you don’t like the new gesture-based approach, you can switch back to the classic buttons (or vice versa).
This section takes you step-by-step through changing your navigation controls in Android 12, complete with pictures of the screen to help.
1. Tap the Settings icon to launch the Settings app. Scroll down and tap on Accessibility.
2. Scroll down to the Interaction Controls section and tap System controls. On the next screen, tap System navigation.
3. Tap the button next to 3-button navigation to switch back to the classic 3-button system, or tap the button next to Gesture navigation to enable gestures instead.
4. If you use gestures but find that they aren't being recognised or that you're making them unintentionally, tap the Settings icon next to Gesture navigation.
5. Use the Left edge and Right edge sliders to turn the sensitivity upwards. If you're using gestures without meaning to, turn the sensitivity down.
6. Tap the Home button or swipe upwards from the bottom of the screen to return to the Home screen
Note: We have written these instructions for devices running the standard version of the Android operating system. You may find some minor presentation differences if the manufacturer has customised the theme.