This section gives you step by step instructions on how to receive a visual notification when an alert sound is played on your computer in macOS 12 Monterey, with pictures of the screens to help.
1. Click the Apple icon in the top left corner of the screen and choose System Preferences from the menu.
2. In the System Preferences window, click Accessibility.
3. In the sidebar, click Audio.
4. Tick the checkbox for Flash the screen when an alert sound occurs.
5. To see how the flash appears when an alert sound occurs, click the Test Screen Flash button.
6. When you are happy with your settings, close System Preferences by clicking the Close button (red circle) in the top-left corner of the window or using the Cmd + W keyboard shortcut.
Note: If this does not work it could be because your computer settings are managed by someone else (an IT department or administrator for example). If so, you will need to contact them to access these settings or for help.