This section gives you step by step instructions on how to hear words and letters spoken aloud as you type them in macOS 12 Monterey, with pictures of the screens to help.
1. Click the Apple icon in the top left corner of the screen and choose System Preferences from the menu.
2. In the System Preferences window, click Accessibility.
3. In the sidebar, click Spoken Content.
4. Tick the checkbox for Speak typing feedback.
5. Click the Options button for Speak announcements.
6. Tick the checkboxes for the items you want to hear spoken as you type.
7. When you are happy with your settings for Speak typing feedback, click the OK button.
8. When you are happy with your settings, close System Preferences by clicking the Close button (red circle) in the top-left corner of the window or using the Cmd + W keyboard shortcut.
Note: If this does not work it could be because your computer settings are managed by someone else (an IT department or administrator for example). If so, you will need to contact them to access these settings or for help.