This section covers the steps you need to follow to enable and use Select to Speak in Chrome OS, complete with pictures of the screen to help.
1. To enable Select to Speak, click on the Time widget in the bottom right corner of the screen to open the System menu. Click on the Settings button .
2. Select Accessibility from the left-hand menu. If Accessibility is not visible, select Advanced to reveal more menu items.
3. Click on Manage accessibility features on the right.
4. Scroll down to the Text-to-Speech section and click on Select to Speak to set the toggle switch to on.
5. You can customise how Select to Speak works by clicking on Open Select to Speak settings.
6. The settings screen will open in a new web browser tab. Click on the Language drop-down menu to change the language. To change the voice used, click on the Preferred voice drop-down menu and select a voice from the list.
7. You can also use Google’s AI-powered natural voice. Click on the toggle switch for Use natural voice when device is online to turn it on. Note: Google will have access to any text submitted for reading by this voice.
8. If you’d like items to be highlighted as they are read aloud, check that the Highlight each word as it is spoken switch is turned on. You can set the colour for the highlights using the drop-down menu below.
9. You can also have a shade overlaid on any other content in the window to make it easier to see what’s being read. Click the switch for Shade background content.
10. To see more options, go back to the Accessibility settings and click on Text-to-speech voice settings.
11. Use the Speech properties sliders to adjust the Rate, Pitch and Volume of your chosen voice. Pres the Play button in the Preview section to check the results.
12. To use Select to Speak, click on a word or click and drag around a chunk of text. Press the Search + S keys and the words or sentences will be read aloud.
Note: If this does not work it could be because someone else manages your computer settings (an IT department or administrator). If this is the case, you will need to contact them to access these settings or for further help.