In this article
How to access the Text Replacement settings
How to create new text replacement items
How to edit a text replacement item
How to delete text replacement items
Using text replacement shortcuts
- Open the Settings app .
- In the Settings app, select General from the list.
- On the General screen, select Keyboard.
- On the Keyboard screen, select Text Replacement.
- Select the + (plus) button in the top-right.
- Type the phrase you would like inserted when you type the shortcut. In our example we used the phrase “Hello World”.
- Type the shortcut you would like to trigger this phrase. In our example the shortcut is “hw”.
- Select Save in the top-right corner.
- Note: The Text Replacements you set up will sync across all devices that use the same iCloud ID.
- Tap the item you want to edit.
- Tap on the phrase or shortcut to insert the cursor and start editing.
- When you have finished, select Save in the top-right corner.
- Select Edit in the bottom-left corner.
- Select the - (minus) icon next to the item you wish to delete.
- Select the Delete button.
- Select Done in the bottom-left corner when you have finished deleting items.
- Alternatively, if you only want to delete one item, you can swipe left on it to reveal the Delete button. Tip: Keep swiping left to delete straight away.
When you are happy with your settings, you can return to the home screen page of apps by:
- On devices with Face ID: Swipe up from the bottom of the screen.
- On all other devices: Press the home button once.
- You can use these shortcuts anywhere you can insert text, such as text messages, emails, documents and input boxes on websites.
- Type your shortcut followed by the spacebar. The phrase associated with the shortcut will be inserted (see the animation below).